The fear



They say Love happens at the first sight and I say that its completely wrong. Love happens as soon as you get to know that there is a life growing inside you ,you haven't yet seen that little wonder you will be creating in next few months and you already love that little one more than anything else in the world.
               
So after we got to know about the little miracle that would be coming in our life soon, we were much excited as with every parent to be. But God always have something else in store for us. In the forth month of pregnancy the doctor prescribed a huge list of tests. With the time a lot has been changed,with my first one only a few general tests were done but this time there were a lot of them. I was little skeptical with the number of tests given but they say doctor is God and we should follow what is prescribed. We went for the tests and there was one test named quad test.       

According to babycenter, The quad screen (sometimes referred to as the quadruple screen, AFP4, or multiple marker) is a blood test that can tell you whether your baby is at an increased risk for certain problems. The conditions it screens for are Down syndrome and trisomy 18, which are chromosomal abnormalities, as well as neural tube defects, such as spina bifida.       
    
 After my quad screening, the blood work came back as positive for neural tube defects/spina bifida. I had abnormal results indicating high AFP levels which is correlated with a neural tube defect or other structural defect. Now with those results I was very much worried till my next appointment with doctor. I googled every damn information about it I could get my hands on.Although all the answers I got from Mr. Google were satisfying in a way that the results only show certain percentage that the baby can be born with certain defects and it does not in any way mean that the baby will surely be born with the defects or down syndrome. I prayed, prayed and only prayed during those 2-3 days I had in between my next appointment. Finally the day came and I broke down when doctor advised me to go to fetal medicine expert for a detailed ultrasound. Although the doctor also said same thing that it is not a 100% accurate result but she also said that we should not ignore since its in reports. Hence I scheduled a level 2 ultrasound.     
          
 The fetal medicine doctor did a thorough ultrasound to check the well being of the baby. She was not satisfied with the view she was getting with the regular ultrasound hence she recommended a TVS (TransVaginal Scan). Now this was also first for me and I really wasn't comfortable getting naked and getting that instrument inserted in me, but  for knowing the well being of my child I was ready to do anything that was required. In TVS she got a very good view of the baby's all organs spine and brain to be precise which were to be checked for any abnormality. Finally, she said everything is good and there is no possibility of down syndrome or spina bifida.       

 I really can not explain in words the fear and thoughts I had in my mind when I got to know the results of quad test. I didn't want to lose my precious baby and I could do nothing but pray. And the dear God answered my prayers and all was well in the end. But the thought even for a moment that what will i do if in any case I have to take that decision was killing something inside me.    

             Anyway, all is well that ends well. I still have a few weeks to meet my little bundle of joy and I keep praying for a healthy and happy baby. I need all the prayers and blessings. 

Comments

Popular Posts